Pediatricians focus on the care of children from birth to 21 years of age. They provide preventive health maintenance for healthy children and medical care for those who are seriously or chronically ill. They may diagnose and treat infections, injuries, genetic defects, malignancies and many types of organic disease and dysfunctions.
Pediatricians may practice in many different types of outpatient (private or public clinics) or hospital-based settings (inpatient or urgent-care/emergency departments in community or academic hospitals). One may choose to work in general pediatrics or in one of the pediatric sub-specialty fields. Pediatricians may also work in the field of public health, or be involved in research in the basic sciences or in health services. Those in pediatrics strive to optimize the care for children, in part by becoming expert in child development and behavior, by providing care in the context of families, and by advocating for the health and safety of all children.
- Duration of training: Three years.
- Number of programs nationally: 200+
- Number of entering residency positions per year: 2,650
- Types of fellowships or subspecialties: available after completing a pediatrics residency: Adolescent Medicine, Pediatric Behavior/Development, Child Abuse, Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Critical Care, Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Pediatric Endocrinology, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Pediatric Genetics, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Pediatric Hospital Medicine, Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Neonatal/Perinatal Medicine, Pediatric Nephrology, Pediatric Palliative Care, Pediatric Pulmonology, Pediatric Rheumatology, Neurology, General Academic
- Type of Match: NRMP.
- Overall competitiveness: Moderately Competitive. There's a good chance of matching for the average student.
Primary Faculty Contact for M1's and M2's
Dr. Jocelyn Schiller
Medical Student Club or Interest Group
Pediatric Interest Group
- Dr. Jocelyn Schiller
Research Experiences Available to M1's or M2's
- Pediatric Subspecialties: Dr. Julie Lumeng, email@example.com
- Pediatric Health Services: Sarah Clark, firstname.lastname@example.org