M+Box is file storage with a few “extras,” such as sync, updates, etc.
NOTE: Sensitive information (e.g. Patient records or ePHI) should not be stored in M+Box.
- 50 GB of cloud storage.
- Access the files via any web browser, smartphone, or tablet.
- Synchronize your files to your computer.
- No setup process.
You can access M+Box through:
- A web browser.
- The Box app on iPad or Android.
- Via WebDAV (https://www.box.com/dav).
- Via note-taking software (e.g. Notability).
How is M+Box different from Canvas or CTools?
Canvas and CTools have:
- Class schedule.
- Class-specific information.
They are also the official repository of information. You can access M+Box from within your course pages.
Login to M+Box: http://box.it.umich.edu
You MAY need to set an External Password for some applications. To do this:
- Click My Account.
- Select Account Settings.
- Select Create External Password.
- Enter the Same Password Twice.
- Click Save.
For iPad users: You will need to create a folder for storing your iPad notes if you're using Notability. Other apps may not require this step.
To set up a folder:
- Click Files.
- Click New.
- Select New Folder.
- Enter your folder a name, e.g., My Files.
- Under Collaboration, set as “Keep Private for Now.”
- Click the “Okay” button.
You should now see your new folder on your Box file list.
You will get a lot of email from Box if you do not change your notification preferences!
Click on your name and then choose Account Settings from the dropdown menu.
Select the Notifications tab. Here, you can set your email notification preferences.
Click Save when you're done.
Box Sync is a simple tool that runs on your computer to keep folders synchronized between the cloud and your computer.
Download Box Sync
- Click on your name.
- Select Get Box Sync.
- Click the “Box Sync” button. Note: This may not work for older operating systems.
- Download and install the Box Sync Installer to Mac or PC.
Logging in to Box Sync
Do not enter a username and password. Instead, select “Use Single Sign On.”
Next, enter your U-M email address in the form of firstname.lastname@example.org (NOT med.umich.edu).
The main U-M Weblogin form will open. Enter your uniqname and Level-1 (UMICH) password and click Log In.
You will now have to go back to your browser.
You will be able to designate which folders and files you want copied to your desktop, but you have to be an editor or owner.
Find your “My Files” folder. Click the down arrow icon next to the folder. Select Sync Folder to Computer.
The Notability application is available in the App Store. Learn more about this note-taking app at http://www.gingerlabs.com.
Setting Up the App
The app may start in a tutorial. If so, finish the tutorial and click the Library icon. If not, you may be at the All Notes section.
Now choose where to get your files:
- Tap the Settings icon.
- Select Cloud Services → Box.
- Enter your email address in the form of email@example.com.
- Do not enter your password.
- Select Log In. You will be taken to the U-M Weblogin form.
- Enter your uniqname and Level-1 password.
- Click Log In.
- Click Done.
The menu will close, but you'll need to go back into it.
Setting up Auto Sync to Back Up Your Documents
- Tap the Settings icon again.
- At the top of the window, the Auto Sync section should be currently set to OFF. Tap the words “Autosync = Off,” and the “Choose Sync Destination” window will pop up.
- Select Box.
- Select the Box folder you want to sync with.
- Tap the blue box in the upper right corner labeled “Sync to [folder name].”
- Select PDF from the “Choose Sync Format” window.
Now, you will be back at the “Choose Sync Destination” window. Scroll down to see the “Select Subjects to Sync” section. By default, the Unfiled folder is not synched. Select “Unfiled” to make this autosync, too.
Tap the blue "Done" box in the upper right corner. Now all files that you download and edit will be stored in your designated M+Box folder automatically.
Opening a File from Box
In the upper right corner of Notability is a small rectangle with an arrow. This is the “Import From” button. Tap it.
A small menu will appear with Dropbox, Box, iDisk, and WebDAV. Select Box.
- In the “Import from Box” window, select one of your folders.
- Select a file in the folder.
- In the Import PDF window, select “Create new note.”
- In the Select Page Range window, tap OK. This will open the document to be edited.
Editing & Notetaking on PDFs
Explore the tools and mark up your document. Tools include: typed notes, pencil, highlighter, eraser, and scissors for cutting and pasting.
When you are finished editing a document, tap the Library icon.
Organizing with Folders
When you return to the Library, your note will be in the Unfiled category, which is not backed up unless you change it according to the directions earlier in this section.
You may want to categorize the note.
- Tap the "plus" icon in the upper left near the word Unfiled. This will open an Organize window.
- Type your category name in the box and tap Done. You now are in a new folder with your category name.
- Tap the word Unfiled, and you will see your PDF.
- Tap the Edit button, and you will be able to drag-and-drop that PDF into the newly created category folder.
- Click Done after moving the file.
The system may not sync until you open and close the file again. Sync will show at the bottom of the screen.